Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Note on Traveling Alone




Why do we think that we can only travel in a group, family or with friends. I think of all the years I have wasted waiting for my friends or family to visit the places I have dreamed about. I was born with a suitcase in my hand--- So here is the truth to why I'm in Italy----- I love to travel but traveling alone, like going to the movies alone makes us feel like we are lonely--- which is a very bad word in America. Last year I took myself to the movies to see Eat, Love Pray, (after reading the book-- I do LOVE Julia Roberts, I think we would be great friends) during the movie when she decided to go to Italy, India and Bali, it got me thinking. Going to school, I would meet people and not be alone. Thank you to Elizabeth Gilbert, and my girl Julia that is why I'm in Italy.

I'm in ITALY for 6 weeks. Let me say that again, I Natalie Moten, took myself to Italy and I am having the time of my life. I would have missed this if I would have waited for someone to travel with. I am not alone nor am I lonely in Italy. In fact I have too many thing to do with my friends that have also taken themselves to Italy.

I have met wonderful travelers, Ceclia and Carolina from Sweden, Hans from Holland, Michelle from the Big Apple, Osshi for Scotland just to name a few---- we are all in school learning Italian and exploring this wonderful country.
So I guess what this post is all about is traveling not alone but with yourself, is not about being friendless, because you can make friends wherever you go if you are open to just saying "Hello", start that conversation, go read Eat, Love Pray, or go see my girl in the movie. I also hope Very, very soon you take yourself out to dinner, or to a movie, or just go get coffee and ask yourself what have I been wanting to do but have been afraid to go or do alone. Wait for the answer.----------

Ciao
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment